The Manor is mentioned in the Domesday Book, but there has been a settlement on the site since Anglo-Saxon times and probably long before that. The Manor and its surrounding farm buildings are Grade II listed, with the earliest surviving part of the manor house dating from the late 15th century, with major additions in 1602 and the farm buildings from the 1850s.
Working with architects, Hoare Ridge & Morris, we were contracted by the trustees to undertake extensive refurbishment and extension works to the Manor.
External works consisted of substantial repairs to the roof structure and the addition of insulation where possible; new cast iron rainwater goods; exterior ashlar repairs to walls and chimney stacks; repairs to stone window surrounds; and new bronze frames with lead squares. We took down and rebuilt the central southeast wall of the Great Hall, re-ordered the fenestration, and installed a new oak doorway and stone oeil-de-boeuf window.
Internal alterations included re-ordering to the Great Hall with new panelling and fireplace; underfloor heating and oak flooring; substantial re-wiring and re-plumbing of other areas of the house; bespoke joinery wardrobes, bookcases, bathroom furniture and complete decoration.
The clients remained in occupation of the other parts of the house throughout the refurbishment, so we provided a temporary roof to the entire property during the re-roofing and stone repair works.